background

Thursday, October 13, 2022

Autumn Favorites ~ PUMPKINS!!

 Autumn is my favorite season!! There are so many things that I love about it, that I thought I would share a few of my favorite things. One of my favorite things are PUMPKINS. I absolutely love all types of pumpkins. Real, fabric, crochet, wooden, etc.... 

I have tried several times to grow pumpkins. I have only had success growing the tiny Jack Be Little pumpkins. Any larger ones have succumbed to powdery mildew.😒


I have a few pumpkins that I made that I want to share with you!



My friend Regina (who is also super crafty) had made some fabric pumpkins for a craft fair we did together years ago and I fell in love with these! These pumpkins are so very easy to sew. The website I got my pattern from is no longer available. But I did find another one that is the same here. It is very well written, with good photos to follow! I found some branches for some of my stems. On others, I just tied the jute twine at the top.


Something new I made this year were these adorable crochet pumpkins!!! I found this pattern on Pinterest and then I found the perfect orange yarn at the Dollar Tree. The first one I made, I got lost on counting my rows. I don't even know how many rows I made. I only realized something was wrong when I was trying to pull it closed and was really worried my yarn would break!! But I finally got it shut and I love how it turned out! 

For the stem, I did this:

  • MR 4.  
  • SC x4
  • 2x around (8)
  • SC x8
  • 1sc, 2sc around (12)
  • SC x 12

Only follow this pattern until you get to the size you need, then sew it onto your stuffed pumpkin.

For the leaf, I found a pattern here that is on an adorable hat. I love this pattern!!! The first crochet pumpkin hat I made was the one below... and it is NOT as cute. But.... it was so easy! 

Another project I would like to share with you is this door hanger. I saw this on Pinterest and fell in love with the saying and the colors!!! Basically, I just copied it from the picture. I used Canva to design the words, printed them out, and used carbon copy paper to transfer them to the wood. Speaking of wood, this is just a piece of thin plywood that I made a circle on using a pencil, sting, and thumbtack, then cutting out with my jigsaw. I used acrylic paints and sealed it using a spray matte sealer.


I even made a burlap pumpkin door hanger way back when burlap was all the rage. I just painted a pumpkin onto a folded piece of burlap. Cut the pumpkin out of both sides. Hot glued the edge, leaving a small opening. Stuffed with plastic grocery bags. Added a hanger and Voila! A not-as-cute-as-I-envisioned pumpkin door hanger. 😁



I hope you have enjoyed my pumpkins! Coming soon will be a post about my most favorite thing about Autumn...

Scarecrows!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Moving!!

  In an effort to build my pattern designing business, I now have my own domain! Visit my NEW blog at:  thewhimzb.com   Come on over and see...