background

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Crocheted Strawberry Pincushion Pattern














Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... I LOVE finding new purposes for used things!! Those Oui yogurt jars are too cute NOT to be reused, but I was having trouble coming up with any ideas.

On another note... As a sewer and crocheter, I use pincushions and thread/yarn catchers often. I don't like using regular pin cushions for my dull yarn needles, so I've been toying with ideas for a crocheted one for awhile, but never found the right one. 

Eventually, those two problems (what to use the jars for and a pincushion idea) finally came together in my mind and I had the perfect idea... a crocheted pincushion "topper" for the jar!

Since I absolutely 💗 strawberries, that was my #1 choice for a pincushion. I had also been toying with the idea of putting ribbons on the top so that I had something to hang my stitch markers on. So I thought green ribbons would be perfect to top my strawberry with. The first ones I made looked more like turnips... very CUTE turnips. I had to make the strawberry short and fat to sit on top of the jar without sticking down into the jar; and the green ribbon tops coming out, did not look like a strawberry. My friend gave me some valuable advice to add ribbons coming down onto the berry and Voila!! Perfect!

Here is the pattern for you to make one of your own. ENJOY!💝

Supplies:
Yarn: I used worsted weight. You can use whatever you like. It doesn't take much!
         I used: Red- Red Heart Super Saver / Pink- I Love This Yarn
F hook
Stitch Marker
Yarn Needle
Ribbon. I used 3/8" and 5/8"
Scissors
Lighter
Hot Glue
Polyfil

Terms:
MR: magic ring
INC: increase 
SC: single crochet
DEC: decrease (I use the invisible decrease)
This pattern is crocheted in the round. Use your stitch marker to keep up with rounds. 

R1: MR 5 SC (5) Leave a long tail to tie the ribbons onto
R2: INC around (10)
R3: SC around (10) Pull the MR tail tight and weave in a couple of times to secure the MR.
R4: INC around (20)
R5: SC around (20)
R6: *SCx3, INC* around (25)
R7: *SCx4, INC* around (30)
R8: *SCx5, INC* around (35)
R9: *SCx6, INC* around (40)
R10-11: SC around (40)
R12: *SCx6, DEC* around (35)
R13: *SCx5, DEC* around (30)
R14: *SCx4, DEC* around (25)
R15: *SCx3, DEC* around (20)
R16: *SCx2, DEC* around (15)
Cut long tail.
Cut ribbons into different lengths. Run your lighter across the ribbon ends to keep from fraying.
I used 3 different ribbons and cut 6 total in varying lengths from 3" - 5".
Bunch your ribbons and wrap the MR tail around them to secure down into the berry. 











It is easier if you flatten your berry. Carefully stuff the berry with Polyfil around the ribbons. DO NOT OVERSTUFF and be careful not to pull in the point of the berry.
















Use your yarn needle to weave the last tail in and out of the front loops of R16. Pull to close, then fasten off your yarn.
















Using 5/8" ribbon, cut 4: 2 1/2 pieces on the diagonal with each end going in the same direction.
Run your lighter across the ribbon ends to keep from fraying.
Fold your 4 pieces in half to form a "V". Hot glue inside the fold to secure, then glue around the berry.















Pop your berry on top of your jar and ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Moving!!

  In an effort to build my pattern designing business, I now have my own domain! Visit my NEW blog at:  thewhimzb.com   Come on over and see...